Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Idiots. All of us.

This morning, I found myself having a deep, meaningful conversation with a friend via Facebook comments. That part really isn't important. What is important is it caused me to reflect on decisions and choices I've made throughout my life.
For example, with an allegedly ginormous storm headed our direction, I wondered about the decision to stay, and raise my kids in New England. At first I thought, I love the change of the seasons and I'd miss it if I moved somewhere more temperate. Then I thought about the smell of wood smoke, hanging in the air from November to April - I love that smell. Next up was going to our camp in the summer - I'm sure it wouldn't be half as meaningful if I could swim in the local body of water for more than two weeks out of the year. I'd probably get spoiled and who wants that? Everyone knows water temps above 70 degrees are for sissies.
These and other things lazily crossed my mind until I actually snapped out of it and said to myself 'What, are you an idiot?' The resounding answer was absofrigginglutely.
Let's make this interactive and do a little word association. You comment with something you like about New England and I'll respond with something I like about, oh I don't know, Hawaii.
Ready? GO!

4 comments:

  1. I like living on the East Coast....I would never complain. What's snow compared to a hurricane, or a flood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad would it be if your kids never got to know what a "snow day" was? We lived in Phoenix for 2 years and all I can say is I couldn't wait to move back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this was supposed to be a word association game and all in jest but it didn't so much work out that way, huh?
    Okay, let me say one thing, I am a New Englander, born and raised, and I do love the change of the seasons. One of our rights, as New Englanders, is to complain about the weather no matter what it is. In Winter, we wish it was warmer. In the heat of the summer, we can't wait for the cool fall nights and so on. It's part of who we are and, yes, I'm sure we'll be here for awhile since it is a MOST excellent place to raise kids (who, by the way, have seen more snow days at their tender ages than I ever did....when I walked to school.....five miles......uphill.......during snowstorms......).

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I have been to Oahu three times and it truly is paradise. However, I would get island fever. It is very small and wouldn't take long to see what there was to see and it would cost a bundle to visit other islands. My cousin lived there twice (her husband was in the Coast Guard). He had 2 4 yr tours there. She said at the 2 year mark you wish paradise had a bit more variation. Almost every day is the same. They loved Hawaii but were ready to leave ...they now live in Virginia. I love New Hampshire. If I couldn't live in New Hampshire - I would pick Maine...yessah! :) I am a Yankee through and through and YES, I will eat Pie for Breakfast!

    ReplyDelete