Friday, February 24, 2012

I got a package in the mail yesterday...

As a general rule, like most people my mail is limited to two things: Bills and envelopes addressed to "Current Resident". Yesterday was different. My Stepdad, who typically retrieves the mail, approached me with a padded manila envelope addressed specifically to me and it was from the immediate family of my Great Aunt who, sadly, passed away this past Christmas Eve.

Auntie Sue's passing wasn't sad because she was too young or because she had been sick for a long time. She was 90 years old, had lived a long and full life, raised her sons and watched her grandchildren grow up. Auntie Sue's death was sad because she was one of the best people I have ever known and I will truly, truly miss seeing and visiting with her.

What's interesting about that is I typically only saw her a few times each summer. Her Father, my Great Grandfather, founded a Boys Camp in Sebago Lake, Maine back in 1906. Each of Ernest J. Dennen's children built a summer home adjacent to the Boys Camp which means they were adjacent to one another for roughly three months out of every year of their adult lives. I'll bet that not many families out there can make claim to that sort of tradition. Kids grow up, and in one way or another apart. Sometimes growing apart geographically and sometimes by way of other choices. I'm going to guess it was a period of about 40 years that my Grandmother, Great Uncle and Auntie Sue stayed together in this way. Incredible.

In our family, Auntie Sue was the last of her generation to pass. It probably should be noted that she was significantly younger than her siblings. Also of note was that her parents died when Auntie Sue was still a teenager so my Grandparents assumed responsibility for her for a time.

There is a foot path that runs along the shore of Sebago Lake. It travels from my Grandparents house to one of my cousins house, on to Auntie Sue's house and the final section of the path ends up at another cousins house. That always seemed to me to be a sort of metaphor for how close they were. As though it was a common thread that bound them together because in a way, it was.

Each of the homes has different strengths in terms of design and placement along the lake. My Grandparents summer home has the best screened in porch that sits atop a ledge overlooking the lake. A wonderful place to grab a cup of coffee and tiptoe out to before the sun rises. The lake is usually very still at that time of day and the only sounds you hear are that of fishing boats trolling along the shore and the morning conversations of the fishermen and women aboard. It's not so much like eavesdropping because you can't really hear what they're saying but there is a quiet comfort and peace about it.

At the far end, my cousin's house boasts the most remote location. It's set back in a little cove, protected from weather and a lot of the boat traffic.

The other cousin's house is the newest of the four and is winterized unlike the others. It's a year round home. When it comes time to leave at the end of the summer, it's always sad to leave and am envious of their full-time home.

The piece de resistance of the houses is Auntie Sue's. It sits on a prominent point of land, looking out first on a yard with beautiful perennial flower gardens. Beyond that are the stairs leading down to the dock system that's right on the water. The house itself is actually two structures, somewhat perpendicular to one another and attached in the middle by an overhang that protects a stone footpath to the aforementioned yard and lake.
One half of the house is made of the common living areas which are open to one another and, on the lake side, boasts window after window offering a beautiful view of the water. Also in this half are bedrooms and a bathroom.
The other half of the house we always referred to as the "Guest Suites". It is comprised of Bedrooms and another bathroom.

The location and layout of the house is enough to make you fall in love with it but Auntie Sue made it even better. She had a unique and ever appealing style whether it be the decor of a room, her car or her outfits which were never anything showy. They were always just a classic look that turned in to the epitome of what she was from her curtains to her jewelry: Put together.

If I had to put a label on Auntie Sue, I would say that she was always "Put Together" from her personality and the open love she shared so easily, to the things she surrounded herself with, including her jewelry and now we are back to my receipt of a small package in yesterday's mail.

When I saw the return address on the package I was a little confused. As my mind started churning, I actually wondered if perhaps I'd left something of mine at her summer home last year when I visited her there. What I got made me cry in the best way possible. Inside the package was a small jewelry box wrapped neatly with a ribbon and a short message. It reads "We have chosen this small remembrance from Susie's collection for you. Please feel free to regift if the style is not yours. We just ask that you tell the recipient a little about Susan...".

Inside the box is a simple necklace with various beads and stones in hues of green, purple and blue. Very earthy, very classic, very Auntie Sue. I couldn't be more pleased and, although I'm not a jewelry person, I've already thought of three different tops I can wear it with. I will be more than happy to explain its history and importance to anyone who remarks on it. I'm so proud and pleased that her family thought enough of me to pass along a remembrance. Also, I've never seen this method of gifting before but I think it's just about the best and most thoughtful that I've ever been privileged to be a part of.

The part that made me cry when I opened it (in addition to the undeniable fact that I'm a sap) was that with one glance, it made me think of Auntie Sue. It's style, the colors, the love with which it was given and a million other things. I will always think of her happily when I wear it.

I love and miss you Auntie Sue. I was so fortunate to have had you in my life! Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment