Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Things My Mom would have loved or hated....




My Mom passed away almost three years ago and she had been sick for a year and a half before that. While I think of her every single day, there are certain things that make me think "Mom would have LOVED that" or, conversely "Mom would have HATED that".

The more these things have been piling up in my brain, the more I've been thinking I should really write them down. Why? No idea, it just feels like I should.

Let's start with 'worst first'.

Mom would have HATED:
- The political battle campaign for the 2012 Presidential Election. My Mom always had plenty to say about politics. You know those annoying calls we all get from candidates? When they show up on my caller ID, I have started to refuse answering the phone. Nevermind the fact that they typically call during dinner or a good TV program, I just think there's something fundamentally wrong with someone calling and putting me on the spot like that. It always feels like some twisted guilt trip. 'You ARE going to vote, right?' Well, of course I am but when they ask it like that, it makes me want to say 'No', just to irritate them.
Anyway, my Mom would look forward to those calls and turn them in to a half hour bitch session about what was wrong with whatever candidate or political party had happened to call.
Well, Mom, if you happen to be watching, you already know that this campaign year is a doozie.

- The amount of Red Tape I currently have to go through while on an extended Medical Leave from work. Every time I get off the phone with someone who needs, yet, another piece of information from an entity they could have called directly (instead of calling me), I think about how much she would have hated this entire process.

- The ongoing construction on North State Street. I say ongoing because it was around when she was alive and well and it doesn't look as though it's going to end any time soon. She'd have hated that.

- That my eldest brother has lost touch with his family since she passed. Each of us has reached out to him at one time or another but it seems he has made a decision to be done with us. She really would have hated that.

- Seeing our dog, JoJo, put to sleep last Spring. Dogs know when something is wrong and, from the time of My Mom's diagnosis to the last time JoJo saw her, she would come in the house and go straight to Mom's bedside and curl up there. Mom used to call her the "Therapy Dog" and just loved JoJo. It would have been as hard on her as it was on us when we had to put JoJo down last Spring. She'd have hated that.

- Brett Favre. No explanation necessary.

- The Red Sox 2011 Season. Chicken, Beer, Snot-nosed, Self Righteous, overpaid little boys.



Mom would have LOVED:
- The fact that Jason Varitek retired at the right time and did not become traitorous in the name of a plumped up paycheck. She would have said that he's going out the way he should and she'd have loved that.

- Seeing her eldest Granddaughter graduate High School and start College.
- Seeing her youngest Granddaughter thrive in music and school.
She would have loved BOTH of their personalities and senses of humor.

- Our other dog, Buddy. Buddy is a lap dog who loves most women and likes nothing better than to curl up in your lap for snuggles. I feel confident Buddy would have loved Mom and it would have given her a real kick to know that she was a member of the inner circle that, in Buddy's eyes, can do no wrong. She'd have loved him.

- Facebook. Mom would have loved the connection with people through Facebook. She also would have loved the games available there. I think her favorite would have been the "I'm from Concord...." page. The travels down memory lane, the old pictures, the general conversations.

- The British TV Series "Downton Abbey". She'd have absolutely loved that.

- Keurig Coffee.

- The Musical "Wicked". It was popular when she was sick so she never really had a chance to get in to it. She'd have loved it.


Anyone who knew my Mom can feel free to add anything that falls in to one or the other category by way of a comment. I'd love to see them.

1 comment:

  1. Great tribute to your mom, Pam. I lost my mom 5 years ago & there are so many things she would have loved and hated to. What a great way to remember her by!

    ReplyDelete