Friday, February 3, 2012

I love my husband...

Last night, I looked up from what I was doing to see my husband.  He was sitting in his chair, eyes closed and hands together on his chest.
"Honey, why are you praying?"  I asked.  "I'm not praying" was his answer.  After waiting a moment "Honey, what are you doing?"
His answer will come later but, first, you should have some background.  We will be married eight years this Spring and have been together for something like 13 or 14 years.  Every time I feel like I couldn't possibly love him more, I do.  The human heart is amazing that way; or maybe it's just him.  He is exceptional in so many ways.  He has a caring heart, is protective of those he loves, is an incredibly devoted Dad and Husband, will give you the shirt off his back, takes good care of himself, can find almost any lost item, is passionate about what he loves and is incredibly smart.

It's those last two items that prompted me to share this story.

My husband is a computer geek, and I say that lovingly.  He knows databases and how they work inside out, upside down, front, back and any other way you can imagine.  He's like the "Wonkavator" of Computer Databases.  He is made even more valuable to his employer because once he sets his sights on a problem or issue, he won't let go of it until it's resolved.  This can lead to some lengthy work hours but the satisfaction he gets from completing a task is a very fulfilling part of his life.  He is also pretty self aware.  He will tell you that A) He's a problem solver and B) He's very good at what he does.  Both statements are, without exception, absolutely true.

All of that having been said, if there is a problem or issue whose resolution is temporarily eluding him, he can get pretty grumpy.  Typically, all that means is that he gets quiet.  He will obsess internally until the problem gives way.  Even that isn't too bad - seriously, even on my best PMS day, I was grumpier than he is at his very worst.

Now that you've got that information, let's get back to last night, shall we?  I had just asked, if he wasn't praying, what was he doing?  After a long pause, the answer went like this (I captured it on Facebook last night so I'd be sure to remember it correctly since there's a LOT of technical jargon within)  I just ask that you picture me like a toddler who is exhausted but resisting bedtime, and listening to the fifth book s/he has asked Mommy or Daddy to read:

"I'm trying to build a complex algorithm...blah, blah, blah (blink, blink).....problem at work.....blah, blah, blah (maybe if I just close my eyes for a second).......if an exhaustive search for best matches....blah, blah, blah (This chair is soooooo comfy)....and I may have started drooling at that point.......unlikely time stamps will match exactly......blah, blah, (Yes, Of course I told the goats not to swim in the pool)...blah, yada, yada, value,blah, PC, blah...blah, noon, blah, fuzzy matches....." ....blah and...IIIIIIIII.....ammmmmm.....out.


A half hour later, I opened my eyes and he was still going strong.  I stood up and, as I passed by, patted his head and said "I love you.  I'm goin' to bed".  I woke about an hour or so later because I had the unmistakable feeling that I had left something unresolved.......

Where was my  husband?  Right next to me, snoring peacefully........Great.

1 comment:

  1. I love the your interpretation of your husbands ramblings - blah blah .. really chuckled about the goat in the pool! Well done - funny and sweet too.

    ReplyDelete